[Todos CMAT] Seminario de Probabilidad y Estadística - Juan Sebastián Pereyra (Universidad de Montevideo)

seminarios en cmat.edu.uy seminarios en cmat.edu.uy
Mie Sep 20 07:00:29 -03 2023

Seminario de Probabilidad y Estadística

Título: "Rawlsian Assignments,"

Expositor: Juan Sebastián Pereyra (Universidad de Montevideo)

Resumen:

 We study the assignment of indivisible goods to individuals when monetary
transfers are not allowed. Previous literature has mainly focused on efficiency
(from both ex-ante and ex-post perspectives) and individually fair assignments.
As a result, egalitarian concerns have been overlooked. We draw inspiration from
the assignment of apartments in housing cooperatives, where families consider
egalitarianism of assignments as a first-order requirement. Specifically, they
aim to avoid situations where some families receive their most preferred
apartments while others are assigned options ranked very low in their
preferences. Building on Rawls' concept of fairness, we introduce the notion of
Rawlsian assignment. We prove that a unique Rawlsian assignment always exists.
Furthermore, the Rawlsian rule is efficient and anonymous. To illustrate our
analysis, we use preference data from housing cooperatives. We show that the
Rawlsian rule substantially improves, from an egalitarian perspective, both the
probabilistic serial rule, and the rule currently used to assign apartments in
the housing cooperatives.

en coautoría con Tom Demeulemeester.
Viernes 22/9 a las 10:30, Facultad de Ingeniería, salón 705 (salón marrón).

Contacto: Alejandro Cholaquidis - acholaquidis en hotmail.com
https://salavirtual-
udelar.zoom.us/j/88544669179?pwd=UlBHdWRWdEZVMGw0akpPeEd0VWJzZz09

Página del     seminario  : https://pye.cmat.edu.uy/  seminario

Página del grupo: https://pye.cmat.edu.uy/home

Canal de youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOPZEOrLSAYPz2qCAL-KqMg/about