[Todos CMAT] Fwd: BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR (hybrid seminar) - Tuesday 06 June, at 10:00 (Weissauer)

roma roma en fing.edu.uy
Jue Mayo 25 12:24:35 -03 2023

RECIBO Y DISTRIBUYO, RM

BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR on Superlinear Structures and Conformal Geometry

Tuesday 06 June at 10:00 (CET)

Venue (for in-person attendees):
Fibonacci Lecture Room (Galileo Guest House)

To attend the seminar in remote please register using the link below:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0qdO6tpjMpG9DHUCUvlHGq70pHQPYCV96g

Speaker: Prof. Dr. Rainer Weissauer (Universität Heidelberg,
Mathematisches Institut)

Title: Superlinear Structures and Conformal Geometry

Abstract: Superlinear structures, or more precisely symmetric monoidal
tensor structures, implicitly appeared in mathematics and physics long
time ago, among others having roots dating back to Graßmann calculus
in mathematics and the study of Fermi statistics and the Dirac
exclusion principle in physics, later emphasised in supergravity and
string theory.
On the other hand, conformal geometry also dates back to the 19th
century. It emerged in physics through the study of conformal
invariant theories. Seeking unified structures in regard of the
Coleman-Mandula no-go-theorem, this was brought together with
supersymmetry and lead to the concepts of superconformal symmetry
groups and superconformal field theories.
In this lecture we first give an overview of the underlying basic
mathematical notions of superlinearity and conformal geometry. Then we
draw some mathematical conclusions, mainly from a representation
theoretic perspective. Finally we discuss certain results from
representation theory, that could be possibly relevant for some new
relationship between the standard model and superconformal field
theories.

https://indico.ictp.it/event/10383/