[Todos CMAT] Seminario de Probabilidad y Estadística - Rodrigo Ceni (Udelar)

seminarios en cmat.edu.uy seminarios en cmat.edu.uy
Mie Abr 26 15:00:30 -03 2023

Seminario de Probabilidad y Estadística

Título: "Procurement Regulation and Buying Manipulation: An Analysis of Threshold Effects in a Middle-Income Country"

Expositor: Rodrigo Ceni (Udelar)

Resumen:

Governments play a crucial role in regulating the behavior of both citizens and
firms to ensure the provision of public goods and services. Public procurement
can foster economic activity, but it also presents moral hazard problems. To
combat this, governments impose buying rules, but their effects still need to be
well-determined. In our paper, we analyze the impact of changes in procurement
regulation on buying manipulation and the mechanisms behind it in a middle-
income country between 2002-2021. We document a relevant manipulation in the
simpler procedure to the detriment of the stricter ones. We quantify an excess
of 3,357 purchases and the relative excess of mass of 0.04 by the effect of
having a threshold. As the thresholds change, we find a higher response when the
government restricts the rules with a smooth counterfactual. However, if we
construct the counterfactual with the previous threshold, we find symmetric
results.
Viernes 28/4 a las 10:30, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Administración (entrada por Lauro Muller).

Contacto: Alejandro Cholaquidis - acholaquidis en hotmail.com
Link:

https://salavirtual-
udelar.zoom.us/j/88544669179?pwd=UlBHdWRWdEZVMGw0akpPeEd0VWJzZz09

Página del    seminario : https://pye.cmat.edu.uy/ seminario

Página del grupo: https://pye.cmat.edu.uy/home

Canal de youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOPZEOrLSAYPz2qCAL-KqMg/about