[Todos CMAT] Fwd: International Mathematics Master Fundraising

roma roma en fing.edu.uy
Mie Jul 28 12:34:59 -03 2021

RECIBÍ Y DISTRIBUYO. RM

----- Mensaje reenviado de Stefano Luzzatto <luzzatto en ictp.it> -----
  Fecha: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 17:08:50 +0200
     De: Stefano Luzzatto <luzzatto en ictp.it>
Asunto: International Mathematics Master Fundraising
   Para: Stefano Luzzatto <luzzatto en ictp.it>

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

as some of you know, over the last several years I have been very
involved with setting up the International Mathematics Master (IMM), a
capacity building project in Mathematics whose aim si to provide an
international education to bright and promising young students
throughout developing countries.

The first pilot IMM programme opened at the ICTP Affiliated Centre in
Lahore, Pakistan in October 2019 and the first class of students is
graduating this summer. I am delighted to announce that 9 out of 12
students have secured fully funded fellowships to continue their
graduate studies in Europe (4 in Italy, 1 at ICTP, 3 in France, and 1
in Ireland). It is very unlikely that any of them would have had this
opportunity without the IMM and so we have already had a significant
impact on all of those lives. The long term plan is of course to help
them eventually return to Pakistan and become inspiring leaders in
their research fields and mentors for younger students.

The only not fully successful aspect of the programme so far has been
the fundraising. We have received some seed funding but our attempts
to secure a more substantial support have so far been unsuccessful,
even though the funding we require is relatively small and it is hard
to think of a programme which provides more value for money. We have
decided to run a crowdfunding campaign to cover some of the costs of
the upcoming academic year, especially the student fellowships. The
London Mathematical Laboratory has kindly agreed to set this up for us
as it is a registered charity in the UK and all the funds received
will be formally audited. Please visit the

LML-IMM Crowdfunding Information Page
<https://lml.org.uk/events/international-mathematics-master/>

for more information. Also please forward this message to anyone else
who might be interested and/or willing to contribute. Constructive
ideas, both inside the box and outside the box, for sources of funding
are also very welcome.

Very best wishes to you all,
Stefano Luzzatto

PS Apologies for this message “out of the blue” for many of you with
whom we have not had much contact over the last few years (or, in some
cases even decades!). As you can see you are still in my address book
and it is a pity that life keeps us so busy and apart from each other.
I hope you are all well and let’s hope to soon get over the crazy
couple of years we have been living through.
Stefano Luzzatto
Mathematics Section
Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy
luzzatto en ictp.it <mailto:luzzatto en ictp.it>
http://www.ictp.it/~luzzatto
https://www.internationalmathematicsmaster.org
<https://www.internationalmathematicsmaster.org/>