[Todos CMAT] Fwd: [IMU AO CL 23/2020] A new ad-hoc IMU Committee on Diversity

Lydia Tappa lydia en cmat.edu.uy
Lun Ago 31 16:34:30 -03 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
De: IMU Secretary <secretary en mathunion.org>
Date: mar., 25 de ago. de 2020 a la(s) 17:50
Subject: [IMU AO CL 23/2020] A new ad-hoc IMU Committee on Diversity
To: ao <ao en mathunion.org>

To: The Adhering Organizations of the International Mathematical Union
(IMU)

Dear colleagues,

Recently, there has been a considerable increase of attention devoted
worldwide
to the issues of diversity and inclusion. Many institutions
and organizations have
recognized the need to re-assess their relationship to the issues of
diversity and
inclusion.

In the past few years, there has been increased attention to diversity in
the IMU.
This has been combined with an increased consideration of conflicts of
interest
and implicit biases. These changes have certainly improved the operations
of
the IMU.

To build on this, the Executive Committee (EC) of the IMU has decided to
create
an ad hoc committee called the Committee on Diversity (CoD) that can offer
us
advice regarding diversity and inclusion.

The purpose of CoD is threefold:

1. Assess how the IMU has performed to date
2. Offer advice on how we can improve our performance
3. Offer advice on how our members (the Adhering Organizations) can improve
    their performance nationally.

CoD's final report will first be discussed by the EC. The EC will then make
its
recommendations to be discussed at the General Assembly in St Petersburg
prior to the ICM 2022.

The work of the committee will be public, and the committee will be free to
seek
advice and engage in discussions wherever it finds suitable.

The chair of CoD is Robert Bryant (Duke University, US), and his email
address
for this is <chair en cod.mathunion.org>. Other members are

Edy Tri Baskoro (Indonesia)
Sophie Dabo-Niang (France/Senegal)
Edray Goins (US)
Anjum Halai (Pakistan)
Gugu Moreira (Brazil)
Philibert Nang (Gabon)
Ngô Bao Châu (US/Vietnam)
Tatiana Toro (US/Colombia)
Elena Vázquez-Abal (Spain)

Regards
Helge Holden

Prof. Helge Holden
Secretary General of the International Mathematical Union
https://www.mathunion.org <http://www.mathunion.org>
Phone:+47-92038625