[Todos CMAT] algunas noticias de la International Mathematical Union

roma roma en fing.edu.uy
Vie Mayo 31 16:09:37 -03 2019

    1. Editorial: Looking back at my presidency
    2. International Day of Mathematics
    3. Inside the IMU
    4. CEIC: Notes and Comments
    5. News from the CWM

   *1. **Editorial: Looking back at my presidency

    At the end of December 2018, I completed my four-year-term as IMU
    President. I am so grateful to the members of the IMU Executive
    Committee 2015 - 2018 (EC18), who are great mathematicians willing
    to help IMU.

    When the term started, the members of EC18 did not know each other
    well. Therefore, it was crucial to understand the EC members first
    and build a consensus within EC. Soon it became customary that
    Secretary, Helge Holden, and I talked with each other regularly on
    skype at my late night and in his afternoon because of the time
    difference. We thus took a particular care to maintain the consensus
    within the EC18 in a combined Japanese-and-Norwegian way.

    The orchestral efforts of IMU committees and commissions culminated
    at the events in Brazil in 2018: The highest administrative event,
    the IMU General Assembly (GA) took place at Sao Paulo in the end of
    July 2018. Let me mention just a few among the many items treated at
    the GA. The IMU Secretariat, which had been an arrangement until
    2020, was endorsed to become permanent in view of the great
    contribution of the IMU Secretariat to IMU and the generous support
    of the Weierstrass Institute (WIAS <https://www.wias-berlin.de/>),
    the Federal Republic of Germany, and the Land Berlin. The Structure
    Committee (SC) was created to lessen the heavy workload on the
    Program Committee (PC) in such a way that the structure of the ICM
    is decided by the SC, and the invited speakers of the ICM by the PC
    - from the year 2019. The new Executive Committee EC 2019-2022
    (EC22) as well as other commissions of IMU were appointed at the GA.
    Finally, the GA decided the site of the ICM 2022 to be St.
    Petersburg. The meeting was constructive and closed with the promise
    to meet again in St. Petersburg in 2022.

    The most memorable event was theICM2018
    <http://www.icm2018.org/portal/main.html> in Rio de Janeiro. It was
    a gigantic event with thousands of participants, which was made
    possible by the cooperation of hundreds of volunteers. Its
    preparation started in 2014 with the appointment of the Program
    Committee (PC) Chair, János Kollár. The EC appointed the PC and also
    the IMU Prize committees. The PC later appointed the Panel Committee
    and decided the academic content of ICM2018 after all. Based on the
    results of these committees, the Local Organizing Committee of
    ICM2018 chaired by Marcelo Viana handled all the practical matters.
    Having overcome a few difficulties, they achieved a spectacular
    success. I am also very grateful to the speakers for their
    preparations, whose talks were very much praised by the audiences. I
    leave further details to the several editorials Marcelo Viana
    already wrote in the IMU-Net.

    Back to the work during 2015-2018, the EC18 altogether could put
    great ideas initiated by the previous EC14 (2011 - 2014) into
    practice, including the Graduate Research Assistantships in
    Developing Countries (GRAID

<https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/news-and-events/2017-06-01/graduate-research-assistantships-developing-countries-graid-program>)
    Program, the IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program

<https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/scholarshipsgraduate-scholarships/imu-breakout-graduate-fellowship-program>,
    and the Committee for Women in Mathematics (CWM
    <https://www.mathunion.org/cwm>). The first was a unique program
    aiming at fostering research and scholarship in mathematics, which
    was made possible by the cooperation of the American Mathematical
    Society (AMS <https://www.ams.org/home/page>), the Friends of IMU
    (FIMU <http://friends-imu.org/>), and the Commission for Developing
    Countries (CDC <https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/>). The second program
    was created so that the generous donations of the Breakthrough Prize
    winners could support the young generation, with the cooperation of
    CDC, FIMU, and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS
    <https://twas.org/>). As for the third, it was a great news that its
    proposal on the Gender Gap <https://gender-gap-in-science.org/> was
    awarded one of the three major grants of the International Science
    Council (ISC <https://council.science/>), thanks to the Chair,
    Marie-Francoise Roy. I am also grateful to Christiane Rousseau, an
    EC18 member, who had represented IMU and enhanced its visibility in
    the ISC. There was also a new development in IMU, the project of
    having UNESCO proclaim March 14 (Pi Day in many countries) as the
    International Day of Mathematics (more details below in this IMU-Net
    issue).

    Problems the IMU faces were so diverse that it was unrealistic for
    EC alone to treat them. To cope with the situation, the EC often
    created an ad hoc committee for a new issue as well as many other
    regular committees. When we agreed on the candidates of a committee,
    it was the President's role to invite each candidate to join. I was
    so impressed that our requests were most likely accepted. I could
    feel that the IMU is highly trusted and supported by mathematicians
    from all over the world.

    Since the promotion of international cooperation in mathematics is
    the purpose of IMU, it is important for IMU to have opportunities to
    meet with representatives from various organizations as well as
    researchers in other disciplines, and this was particularly
    important for an algebraic geometer from Asia like me. The EC often
    sends representatives to international events related to mathematics
    worldwide for this purpose. Still it was sometimes best that I
    attended the event myself.

    One such example is the Heidelberg Laureate Forum (HLF
    <https://www.heidelberg-laureate-forum.org/>), which was well
    described by the editorial by Dierk Schleicher in the IMU-Net 80
    <https://www.mathunion.org/imu-net/archive/2016/imu-net-080>,
    November 2016 issue. At HLF, about 200 young researchers invited
    from all over the world meet the laureates of Abel Prize, Turing
    Award, ACM Prize in Computing, Fields Medal, and Nevanlinna Prize in
    a relaxed atmosphere. When they are exhausted with mathematical
    discussions, they can enjoy the natural and historic environments of
    Heidelberg. I recommend ambitious students and Post Doctors to apply
    this coming winter for HLF2020.

    Looking back, though the IMU Presidency came with very heavy
    responsibility, I was amply repaid by sincere support and
    cooperation. I am happy to have completed my term with genuine
    gratitude to my colleagues of EC18.

    Shigefumi Mori (IMU past-president, KUIAS/RIMS, Kyoto University)

    ***2. **International Day of Mathematics**

    *Theme of IDM 2020*

    Following a consultation with the IMU members the IDM Governing
    Board has decided the theme of the 2020 IDM, which will be
    *"Mathematics is everywhere"*.
    The theme was proposed by Jaime Carvahlo e Silva from Portugal and
    former Secretary General of ICMI. Examples of topics related to the
    following sub-themes can be found in several languages on the IDM
    website <http://www.idm314.org>:

      * /Mathematics is everywhere in science and technology. /
      * /Mathematics is everywhere in the organization of the
        civilization. /
      * /Mathematics is essential to meet the UN Sustainable Development
        Goals. /
      * /Mathematics is everywhere in whatever you do. /
      * /Tell me about some activity or area and I will tell you where
        mathematics is./

    The official *IDM logo* can now be found on the *IDM website*
    <http://www.idm314.org>. Versions in several languages will be made
    available soon. The website will post material related to the theme
    "Mathematics is everywhere" in September or October 2019.

    If the UNESCO 40th General Conference
    <https://en.unesco.org/generalconference/40> adopts the proclamation
    of March 14 as the International Day of Mathematics, then the
    *official launch* at the UNESCO Headquarters in Paris will take
    place in March 2020. Considering that March 14 2020 is a Saturday,
    the celebration will take place on Friday March 13, 2020.

    ***3. ***Inside the IMU***

    On the occasion of its 100th anniversary, the IMU invites potential
    authors to write amonograph

<https://www.mathunion.org/fileadmin/IMU/Publications/CircularLetters/2019-2020/IMU%20AO%20CL%2010_2019_IMU_book_v2.pdf>
    presenting the IMU in a larger framework of international scientific
    unions, and the internationalization of science and mathematics, in
    particular. The Klaus Tschira Stiftung
    <https://www.klaus-tschira-stiftung.de/>, Heidelberg, Germany,
    generously funds the project.

    Bids should be submitted in pdf by email to IMU Secretary General
    Helge Holden (secretary en mathunion.org
    <mailto:secretary en mathunion.org>) no later than August 1, 2019.

    ***4. ***CEIC: Notes and Comments***

    One barrier to fully understanding the scholarly publishing
    environment is that publication practices can differ between fields
    or subfields, over time, and between countries.  In mathematics we
    are lucky to have high-quality, mathematics-specific databases such
    as zbMATH <https://zbmath.org/> and MathSciNet
    <https://mathscinet.ams.org/mathscinet/>, as well as free resources
    such as Google Scholar <https://scholar.google.dk/>, but getting a
    broad perspective on publishing remains difficult.  Here are two
    recent articles that shed some light on this subject, the first
    about open access in general (not primarily in mathematics) and the
    second about a study of large commercial publishers in mathematics:

    Indonesia tops open-access publishing charts, by Richard Van Noorden
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01536-5

    On the share of mathematics published by Elsevier and Springer, by
    Jean-Christophe Mourrat
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.05635

    ***5. ***News from the CWM***

    CWM Newsletter, Issue 1, May 2019*

    Newsletter Editor, Ekin Ozman, Bogazici University,
    Turkey, introduces our new initiative:

    It is our great pleasure to announce the first issue of the CWM
    Newsletter. CWM has a very active web page with lots of information,
    https://www.mathunion.org/cwm , and we think the Newsletter will be
    a good companion to our webpage. Most of its content relies on the
    information that is already on our webpage, to be found under the
    “CWM News” and “Other News and Announcements” sections of the
    Newsletter. There are some additional articles too. One of these
    articles is an interview with the chair of CWM, Marie-Francoise Roy.
    We plan to continue this tradition by interviewing a CWM member in
    every issue.  In the last section of the Newsletter, you can find an
    article written by Carolina Araujo announcing the new book “World
    Women in Mathematics”. We hope to have similar articles in future
    issues.

    We invite feedback and suggestions about the Newsletter. It is our
    first such experience, and it would be helpful if this Newsletter
    becomes a collaboration of all activities for Women in Mathematics
    worldwide.  We hope to publish the Newsletter two times per year for
    now, hoping that we can increase the frequency as time goes by.

    The first CWM Newsletter can be found at
    https://www.mathunion.org/fileadmin/CWM/Initiatives/CWMNewsletter1.pdf

    *Book announcement "World Women in Mathematics 2018" *

    The forthcoming book /World Women in Mathematics 2018 - Proceedings
    of the  First World Meeting for Women in Mathematics (WM)²/,
    organized by CWM in coordination with the Association for Women in
    Mathematics (AWM <https://awm-math.org/>), records the first (WM)²
    and the CWM panel discussion at  ICM 2018. It is edited by Carolina
    Araujo, Georgia Benkart, Cheryl E. Praeger and Betül Tanbay, and is
    expected to be published still in 2019 by Springer, as part of their
    AWM Series.

    The first part of the volume starts with a short report on the
    activities of (WM)² including pictures that attest to the lively and
    friendly atmosphere of the meeting. Survey research papers from
    invited lecturers provide a panoramic view of different fields in
    pure and applied mathematics:  optimization (by Etienne de Klerk and
    Monique Laurent), applications of computational and real algebraic
    geometry to biochemistry (by Alicia Dickenstein), and stochastic
    processes (by Stella Brassesco and Maria Eulália Vares). The first
    part closes with the note by Maria J. Esteban, based on her public
    lecture entitled “/How mathematics is changing the world/.”

    The second part of the volume documents the CWM panel discussion at
    ICM 2018. The paper by Helena Mihaljevic and Marie-Françoise Roy
    surveys women lecturers in the ICM since its inception. June
    Barrow-Green's essay investigates the historical context of the
    gender gap in mathematics.  Finally, Silvina Ponce Dawson describes
    a series of actions taken by the International Union of Pure and
    Applied Physics to reduce the gender gap.

    This book is dedicated to the memory of Maryam Mirzakhani. Her
    shining light was a great inspiration to the organization of the
    (WM)² and will always be a beacon for women in mathematics.

    *News from May 12, a Celebration for Women in Mathematics *

    May 12 was chosen for the Celebration of Women in Mathematics
    because it is the birthdate of Maryam Mirzakhani. The initiative was
    proposed by the Women's Committee of the Iranian Mathematical
    Society and voted by a vast majority of attendees to (WM)², the
    World Meeting for Women on Mathematics on last July 31 in Rio.

    The initiative is  supported by several organisations for women in
    mathematics worldwide (European Women in Mathematics, Association
    for Women in Mathematics, African Women in Mathematics Association,
    Indian Women and Mathematics, Colectivo de Mujeres Matemáticas de
    Chile and the Women's Committee of the Iranian Mathematical Society).

    There were more than 100 events, announced on
    https://may12.womeninmaths.org/# <https://may12.womeninmaths.org/>,
    taking place in the following countries: Argentina, Australia,
    Belgium, Benin, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Congo, Denmark, Egypt,
    Ethiopia, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Italy,
    Mexico, Nepal, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Russia, Senegal,
    Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey,
    UK, Ukraine, and USA. Local events were varied: films, exhibitions,
    panel discussions, lectures, lunches, dinners,...

    The film /Journeys of Mathematics/ and the exhibition /Remember
    Maryam Mirzakhani/, both created by CWM, were used in several local
    events