[Todos CMAT] SEMINARIO DE PROBABILIDAD Y ESTADÍSTICA - ANUNCIO

seminarios en cmat.edu.uy seminarios en cmat.edu.uy
Mie Mar 7 14:20:20 -03 2018

SEMINARIO DE PROBABILIDAD Y ESTADÍSTICA

Viernes 9 de marzo, de 10:30 AM a 11:30 AM, Salón de Seminarios. Centro de Matemática

Expositor: Jean-Marc  Azaïs, University of Toulouse

Título: Spacing test for the Lasso

Resumen: Recent advances in Post-Selection Inference have shown that conditional testing is relevant and tractable in high-dimensions. In the Gaussian linear model, further works have derived unconditional test statistics such as the Kac-Rice Pivot for general penalized problems. In order to test the global null, a prominent offspring of this breakthrough is the spacing test that accounts the relative separation between the first two knots of the celebrated least-angle regression (LARS) algorithm. However, no results have been shown regarding the distribution of these test statistics under the alternative. For the first time, this paper addresses this important issue for the spacing test and shows that it is unconditionally unbiased. Furthermore, we provide the first extension of the spacing test to the frame of unknown noise variance. More precisely, we investigate the power of the spacing test for LARS and prove that it is unbiased: its power is always greater or equal to the significance level α. In particular, we describe the power of this test under various scenarii: we prove that its rejection region is optimal when the predictors are orthogonal; as the level α goes to zero, we show that the probability of getting a true positive is much greater than α; and we give a detailed description of its power in the case of two predictors. Moreover, we numerically investigate a comparison between the spacing test for LARS and the Pearson’s chi-squared test (goodness of fit). Generalisation to infinite dimensional Lasso is performed.    Joint work with Yohann de Castro and Stéphane Mourareau