[Todos CMAT] Vladimir Voevodsky, 1966-2017

roma roma en fing.edu.uy
Jue Oct 5 18:01:50 -03 2017

OTRO GANADOR DE MEDALLA FIELDS QUE MUERE JOVEN.

Vladimir Voevodsky, 1966-2017

Vladimir Voevodsky, an exceptional mathematician with deep insight who
received the Fields Medal in 2002 for his development of a homotopy
theory for algebraic varieties and his formulation of motivic
cohomology, died September 30 at the age of 51. His work proved the
Milnor conjecture, which for decades had been the major unsolved
problem in algebraic K-theory. Voevodsky was a professor at the
Institute for Advanced Study. In 2009 he proved the Bloch-Kato
conjectures and more recently was working on homotopy type theory and
computer-assisted proof verification. Voevodsky grew up in the Soviet
Union and came to the U.S. to do graduate work at Harvard University,
receiving his PhD in 1992 under the direction of David Kazhdan. He
held positions at the Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard, the Max
Planck Institute for Mathematics, and Northwestern University, before
becoming a professor at the Institute in 2002.

In his biography at the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive is
this passage from Voevodsky, which gives an overview of the work for
which he won the Fields Medal:

We start with geometry, the category of topological spaces. We invent
something about this geometrical world using our basically visual
intuition. The notion of pieces comes exclusively from visual
intuition. We somehow abstract it and re-write it in terms of category
theory which provides this connecting language. And then we apply in a
new situation, in this case in the situation of algebraic equations
which is purely algebraic. So what we get is some fantastic way to
translate geometric intuition into results about algebraic objects.
And that is from my point of view the main fun of doing mathematics.