[Todos CMAT] dos noticias internacionales de matem. + otras dos

Dr. Roberto Markarian roma en fing.edu.uy
Mar Jun 7 04:22:36 UYT 2016

Towards a Global Digital Mathematics Library

I write as chair of the eight-person Global Digital Mathematics
Library Working Group (GDML WG)
<https://blog.wias-berlin.de/imu-icm-panel-wdml/category/gdml-wg/>  of
the IMU's Committee on Electronic Information and Communication
(CEIC); we have been working steadily for 18 months. Now I retired
from Mathematical Reviews (MR; online MathSciNet
<http://ams.org/mathscinet> ) after trying to serve mathematics by
helping access its knowledge. Why would I now be involved in trying
realize some of the grand promise that is expressed in the 2006 GA
Resolution of the IMU
<http://www.mathunion.org/fileadmin/CEIC/Publications/dml_vision.pdf>
?  Actually the question for me was why wouldn't I jump at the chance?
I've always been committed to mathematics as a global enterprise.
After early peripatetic years in London UK, MIT, Groningen, RIMS Kyoto
and Heidelberg, I joined MR in 1980; later I could visit Strasbourg
and IHES each for a year and Auckland NZ.

MathSciNet <http://ams.org/mathscinet>  and zbMATH
<http://zbmath.org/>  provide a much appreciated service in helping
navigate the literature of mathematics. Their abstracting (reviewing)
and indexing has helped many of us a lot in developing and employing
mathematics. There's more that can be done today for the world's
mathematical community.  There can be novel and effective
representations of mathematical knowledge, a store of theorems not
just metadata about articles.  We can make it open,
machine-processable and advance research in this way.  There can be
links with computation and databases like the current offerings of
Wolfram!Alpha <https://www.wolframalpha.com/> , Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page> , Maple
<http://maplesoft.com/> , OEIS <https://oeis.org/> , DLMF
<http://dlmf.nist.gov/>  and others.  The experience gained in other,
better funded, fields with data-mining and ontologies can be
capitalized upon for our mathematical heritage.

Due to the world communication network of the internet these things
will result from a distributed system of contributions looking
eventually like a grand modern form of library, but more robust
against disasters by reason of its distribution.  This protects our
mathematical heritage and spreads it to all countries.

The 2006 IMU resolution calling for work toward a World Digital
Mathematical Library produced much benevolent discussion. But no
actions ensued until a meeting of international experts at the US
Academy of Sciences and the resulting 2012 report from the US National
Research Council <http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.1905> . Work on problems
of Mathematical Knowledge Management (MKM), Digital Mathematical
Libraries (DML) and Automated Theorem Proving (ATP) continued all the
while, but was made up mostly of small largely independent efforts.
In a sense, the whole GDML remained what is commercially termed
"vaporware".

At ICM Seoul 2014, IMU President Ingrid Daubechies, supported by CEIC
chair Peter Olver, set up the GDML WG to get matters moving and
concrete projects underway toward a GDML.  The WG has been planning,
considering project details, and doing outreach.  We've organized a
successful special session at JMM Seattle 2016 <http://bit.ly/1U4wX9S>
, and will have them in July 2016 at 7ECM
<http://www.7ecm.de/program/mini_symposia.html>  and ICMS2016
<http://icms2016.zib.de/sessions.html>  in Berlin, and be involved in
CICM2016 <http://www.mathunion.org/typo3/CICM2016>  in Bialystok.  The
GDML WG collaborated with the Wolfram Foundation and the Fields
Institute to organize an international workshop on Semantic
Representation of Mathematics
<http://www.fields.utoronto.ca/programs/scientific/15-16/semantic/>
at Fields in February 2016, generously funded by the Alfred P. Sloan
Foundation.  This represents the start of exploration of a very
promising technical aspect for a digital library now that we have so
much computing power available.

What is needed is more engagement and more internationalization.
Therefore, the WG setting up an International Mathematical Knowledge
Trust (IMKT) <http://imkt.org/>  based in Canada, this should be
followed by regional KTs. The purpose of the IMKT is to establish a
mathematical knowledge commons — a public resource consisting of
mathematical knowledge represented in non-proprietary,
machine-readable formats, together with an international network of
knowledge providers, information systems, and semantic services based
on it, that is, a global digital mathematical library. Another way of
justifying this goal is to assert that using open, interoperable
representation standards and open knowledge licenses turns
mathematical knowledge into Open Mathematical Knowledge Data, and the
body of mathematical knowledge into a public resource that can drive
future mathematical research and practice.

There are already efforts in Europe to build upon the successful
prototype European Digital Mathematics Library (EuDML)
<http://eudml.org/>  and to push for a new European Knowledge
Infrastructure for Mathematics (EuKIM). Mathematics is international,
mathematics is universal (ideally and mostly) and is comparatively
cheap to practice (usually). Recent mathematical breakthroughs did not
involve enormous sums of money to get the resources to build big
machines, though there's a great deal of mathematical infrastructure
to the search for a Higgs particle at LHC
<http://home.cern/topics/higgs-boson>  or even the detection of
gravitational waves at LIGO <http://www.ligo.org/> .  But we each do
need to be conscious of the community's need for mathematical
infrastructure and support, and be willing to contribute our pieces.

Patrick D. F. Ion

Chair GDML WG of IMU CEIC

Biographical Info: I have been involved in Mathematical Knowledge
Management (MKM) for many years. At MR I was instrumental in passing
to the use of TeX in 1985, on TUG's Steering Committee for a decade,
and heavily implicated in the revisions of the Mathematical Subject
Classification (MSC). I became co-chair of the World Wide Web
Consortium Math Working Group, which developed the MathML
specification, of which I am an editor and one author; this is now an
ISO standard. My main mathematical interests are now in quantum
stochastics, q-analogues and the discrete Fourier transform in
elementary geometry; my MKM concerns are MSC in the Semantic Web, the
relation of graph structures found in the mathematical literature to
mathematical knowledge and sociology, and digital libraries.

now open.

The Program Committee (PC) for the International Congress of
Mathematicians 2018 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 1-9, 2018 has
been set up.  The PC has decided on a list of 19 sections at congress.
The Adhering Organizations of IMU and the mathematical societies
worldwide are invited to nominate plenary and sectional speakers.
All communication concerning the scientific program of ICM 2018 is
handled by the Chair of the Program Committee, Prof. János Kollár at
the email address  <chair en pc18.mathunion.org>. Nominations should be
received by the PC Chair no later than November 1, 2016.

-------------
Call for Suggestions for Applications to the new Icsu Grants Programme

IMU is calling for suggestions for applications to the new
<http://www.icsu.org/what-we-do/projects-activities/icsu-grants-programme/>
ICSU Grants Programme. Grants are up to 100,000 € per year for the
three years 2017-2019. The ICSU
<http://www.icsu.org/what-we-do/projects-activities/icsu-grants-programme/>
Grants Programme aims to create new international initiatives
spearheaded by ICSU Unions, which collaborate with other members of
the ICSU family, along with other relevant societal actors and
organisations in order to address issues of science education,
outreach and public engagement.

  At least two scientific unions must be lead applicants. See the list
of scientific unions
<http://www.icsu.org/about-icsu/our-members/?icsudocid=scientific-unions> .
The Grants Programme will foster these larger initiatives that
actively involve developing regions, promote the involvement of young
scientists and women. The aim is also to mobilise a broader community
of actors through these larger international initiatives.

ICSU encourages the submission of proposals that

1.        actively involve the ICSU Regional Offices,
2.        promote the involvement of young scientists, women
scientists, and scientists from developing countries, and
3.        forge new partnerships between organisations that do not
routinely collaborate.

  The ICSU grant can be spent for all necessary costs that are
attributable to the programme, including (but not limited to):

*        Core research project funding
*        Early career fellowship costs
*        Capacity building activities
*        Travel, accommodation and other expenses directly related to
meetings with partners and field visits to research sites and
institutions involved in the programme
*        Meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences
*        Facilitators and skills trainers for working with
stakeholders, media, and public outreach
*        Communication tools and expertise, dissemination activities
and publication support
*        Project monitoring and coordination costs
*        Publication and communication support

  A one page letter of intention should be sent by June 15 2016 to
Christiane Rousseau: rousseac(at)dms.umontreal.ca
<javascript:linkTo_UnCryptMailto('nbjmup+spvttfbdAent/vnpousfbm/db');>
  .

-------------
News from ICSU

Important developments are presently taking place at the International
Council of Science (ICSU). The planet and its human civilization will
face some of its most significant challenges in the near future:
global change, increase of the population pushing the planetary
resources to their limit.

*        Science International: More than ever, it is essential that
the voice of science be present with the decision makers. Four
organizations have decided to to present a unified voice of science:
these are ICSU together the International Social Science Council –
ISSC <http://www.worldsocialscience.org/> ), the InterAcademy
Partnership – IAP <http://www.interacademies.net/> , and the The World
Academy of Sciences – TWAS <http://www.twas.org/> . As a first step
they have created Science International
<http://www.icsu.org/science-international/> : Science International
is a series of regular meetings of top-level representatives of these
four organizations (ICSU, ISSC, IAP and TWAS), that are designed to
represent the global scientific community in the international policy
for science arena. The theme of Science International 2015, which took
place from 7-9 December 2015 in Pretoria, South Africa, was 'Big
Data/Open Data'. The 2015 edition of Science International has
developed an international accord on the values of open data in the
emerging scientific culture of big data
<http://www.icsu.org/science-international/accord> . The Accord
recognizes the need for an international framework of principles on
“Open Data in a Big Data World” and proposes a comprehensive set of
principles. The report produced at this meeting was circulated to the
scientific unions and IMU has endorsed it.
*         Merger: The second step has been taken last month at the
respective board meetings of ISSC and ICSU: they have unanimously
agreed to propose to their members to merge to form a single
international organization for the social and natural sciences. Such a
merger will bring together the unique membership base of both ISSC and
ICSU – i.e. national scientific organizations and international
scientific unions and associations – and create an organization best
suited to develop a unified vision and drive a holistic approach to
some of the great contemporary challenges for science. The unions will
be consulted in the fall on that project of merging.