[Todos CMAT] "Decoding the Dark Universe: From the Big Bang to Black Holes", Seminario Rafael Porto, lunes 23 de marzo, 10 hs.

Lydia Tappa lydia en cmat.edu.uy
Lun Mar 16 11:18:46 UYT 2015

Recibo y difundo a  pedido del área de Física de PEDECIBA.
Saludos

Lydia
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jimena Rodríguez <pedecibafisica en gmail.com>
Date: 2015-03-16 8:58 GMT-03:00
Subject: "Decoding the Dark Universe: From the Big Bang to Black Holes",
Seminario Rafael Porto, lunes 23 de marzo, 10 hs.
To: Lydia Tappa <lydia.tappa en gmail.com>

Están todos invitados al seminario:

"Decoding the Dark Universe: From the Big Bang to Black Holes"

Expositor: Rafael Porto, ICTP-SAIFR

Fecha: Lunes 23 de marzo, 10 hs.

Lugar: Salón de seminarios, IFFC

Resumen:
In an era of rapid experimental developments, we face today deep
theoretical puzzles. Perhaps the most outstanding one is understanding,
within a consistent (quantum) theory which incorporates gravity, the
mechanism(s) behind the early- and late-universe phases of accelerated
expansion. In this talk I review how ideas borrowed from particle physics,
such as effective field theory (EFT) methods, can be used to shed light on
these issues. Beginning with the inflationary paradigm, I introduce the
bottom up, or EFT, approach to the dynamics of the early universe, and
discuss the existence of theoretical thresholds that become natural
observational targets to test physics beyond the canonical slow-roll
framework. I will then describe what we may learn about inflation from
future experiments, and overview an ongoing program (based on an EFT
formalism which originated in the study of black hole dynamics) to approach
these thresholds using data from large scale structure (LSS) surveys.
Concluding, I will briefly describe how the EFT approach to LSS may also
allow us to constrain models of dark energy and dark matter.