[Todos CMAT] Seminario de Probabilidad y Estadística -- Viernes 24 de julio

Andrés Sosa asosa043 en gmail.com
Mie Jul 22 11:17:52 UYT 2015

Hola a todos

Este viernes 24 de julio a las 10:00 horas en el salón de seminarios del
Centro de Matemática hablará *Antonio Cuevas* (Universidad Autónoma de
Madrid) en el seminario de Probabilidad y Estadística. El título es *"Análisis
de formas basado en la distancia entre puntos: teoría y práctica". *

La charla será en español.

Saludos
Andrés

*Abstract:*
*According to Kendall (1989), in shape theory... "The idea is to filter out
effects resulting from translations, changes of scale and rotations and to
declare that shape is what is left". Apart from the classical approach,
based on the use of "landmarks", different methodologies have been
considered in shape analysis. *

*In this talk, we explore the use of the interpoint distance distribution
(i.e. the distribution of the distance between two independent
uniform points) as a tool for handling shapes. This idea has been
previously proposed by other authors [e.g., Osada et al. (2002), Bonetti
and Pagano (2005)]. The aim is to provide some additional mathematical
support for the use of interpoint distances in this context. In particular,
we show the Lipschitz continuity of the transformation taking every shape
to its corresponding interpoint distance distribution. Also, we will
present a partial identifiability result showing that, under some
geometrical restrictions, shapes with different planar area must have
different interpoint distance distributions.*

*Finally, we address practical aspects including a real data example on
shape classification in marine biology.*