[Todos CMAT] Fwd: recruiting to our graduate program

Ma. Alejandra Rodriguez Hertz jana en fing.edu.uy
Mar Nov 8 14:39:08 UYST 2011

por si a alguien le interesa, saludos jana

***GRADUATE PROGRAM IN MATHEMATICS PENN STATE. *

Choosing a Ph.D. Program is a very important decision. No program is ideal
for everybody, and the Penn State Ph.D. Program in Mathematics is no
exception. It may however be an excellent choice for students who are
interested in certain areas of Mathematics, can live without hustle and
bustle of a major city, and would appreciate our attentive and lively
atmosphere. When considering Penn State, we suggest that you take into
account the following:

   - The Department boasts a number of first-rate research groups and
   centers, some of which, in particular, the Center for Dynamics and
   Geometry, are among the very best in the world. In 2010 our program was
   ranked 8th out of over 120 graduate mathematics programs by US National
   Research Council. The Graduate Program webpage at
   http://www.math.psu.edu/grad/ has been recently updated and it contains
   all necessary information. Check Mathematics
Research<http://www.math.psu.edu/research/> for
   our Centers and research groups, Seminars and
Workshops<http://www.math.psu.edu/seminars/> for
   our Mathematics activities, and Distinguished
Visitors<http://wwwmath.psu.edu/visitors/> for
   our Visitor Program.
   - The Department is large, with about 60 faculty, and it offers an
   excellent selection of scientific advisers. A list of recent Ph.D.
   graduates and their
advisers<http://www.math.psu.edu/directory/alumni.php> is
   available at http://www.math.psu.edu/directory/alumni.php .
   - We strongly encourage inter-disciplinary collaboration.
   - We offer a well-thought selection of graduate courses, including
    first year basic courses, more specialized sequences in subject areas, and
   many topic courses in the areas of strength.
   - Our graduate students receive a lot of attention!
   - The main source of financial assistance is teaching assistantships
   that include tuition waiver and a stipend. There are also several special
   departmental and Graduate SchoolFellowships. We make extremely competitive
   individually tailored offers!
   - All new Teaching Assistants attend a semester-long training program
   before they begin teaching carefully selected undergraduate courses.
   - State College is a very nice University town. It is within driving
   proximity to New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. Living in State
   College is inexpensive compared with major metropolitan areas, which
   together with high stipends provides for a very comfortable life. Most
   graduate students live within walking distance from campus. The climate is
   mild, the surrounding nature is gorgeous, and there are endless
   opportunities for outdoor activities. The campus is large, and there is an
   excellent selection of student activities and events in State College.

We are looking forward to receiving your application materials. The
deadline for submission is January 15.
The Graduate school application must be submitted electronically, however,
you may write to me directly with any questions you might have.

With best wishes,
Svetlana Katok,
Professor of Mathematics
Director of Graduate Studies