[Todos CMAT] URGENTE Computation and Complex Systems Workshop

samba en cmat.edu.uy samba en cmat.edu.uy
Mie Sep 26 22:51:20 UYT 2007

Estimados:
aquellos interesados en el workshop que se describe mas abajo (12 de
octubre 2007!! y otros en octubre tambien) por favor contactarse
conmigo a mas tardar el viernes 28 de setiembre, 12:00 hs.
Saludos.
Martin

Dear Sponsor-Representative:

The National Science Foundation (NSF) is funding a major new initiative,
beginning in 2008, on* Cyber-enabled Discovery and Innovation* (CDI). This
initiative is intended to foster American competitiveness through research
contributing to "a new generation of computationally based discovery
concepts and tools to deal with complex, data-rich, and interacting
systems." The NSF notes several examples of themes in this research
category: data mining of large sets, interacting complex systems,
high-performance computational experimentation, virtual environments, and
educating researchers and students in computational discovery.

It is clear that mathematics must play a key role in research in the areas
outlined for this initiative. The Division of Mathematical Sciences at the
National Science Foundation is strongly supportive of the involvement of
mathematical and cross-disciplinary groups in research projects connected
with CDI. As a first step in promoting mathematics involvement, the NSF
Mathematical Sciences Institutes have begun a coordinated effort to inform
the mathematical community about this initiative and to facilitate the
development of research proposals.

On October 12, 2007, MSRI will host a one-day workshop directed at assisting
mathematical scientists in responding to this initiative. The plan is for
this workshop is to include key lectures about large scale interdisciplinary
problems, round table discussions about mathematical challenges in these and
related areas, and Q & A sessions about the structure of the CDI initiative
and the NSF's expectations for proposals.

We anticipate being able to provide partial support for at least a dozen and
perhaps up to twice that many representatives from academic sponsor
institutions. I am therefore asking you to* distribute the attached flyer to
your departmental colleagues as well as colleagues in related departments*.

On-line registration and more information is available at
http://www.msri.org/calendar/workshops/WorkshopInfo/448/show_workshop. You
may also send a request for support directly to me (no more than one per
institution, please) and I expect to be able to respond immediately and
affirmatively until budgeted funds are exhausted.

Best regards,

JZ